Quotidian mysteries/a Latin lesson

I borrowed the title of a lecture that I'm reading from Kathleen Norris, the marvelous poet and Christian thinker.

Here's the book's Google Page, where you can read more:
http://books.google.com/books?id=ETnB8B93otEC&dq=Kathleen+Norris&printsec=frontcover&source=an&hl=en&ei=p1-MSp2gCIisMJ2V3JMO&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=10#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Honestly, I purchased this book to round out a cart for free shipping. What a wonderful accident (or instance of providence, I should say). Quotidian was one of those words on the fringes on my consciousness. I had heard of it, but wasn't quite sure what it meant... It does mean "everyday, repeated actions." It comes from the same Latin root/Old English as "quote," from the question "how many."

Entomology aside, that's exactly what I've been thinking about lately. Perhaps, I should message the subtitle: "Laundry, Liturgy, and 'Womens' Work." Normally, this title would never catch my attention. I work "outside the home" as they say and don't feel very domestic. Yet, this book is so enthralling. It's hardly about laundry, as Norris makes clear.

Then it hit me...that's where I'm missing God in my life: in the details. Frankly, my life is boring right now. I never made good on that plan to save the world. I'm caught up in the trappings of thirtysomethings, namely working and worrying too hard. So, I was treating that as an excuse to ignore God. How silly.

A week ago, I heard a sermon that reminded me that God is always part of life. Pastor Larry said these words:

"Coram Deo. Two words that mean that something takes place in the presence of, or before the face of, God. To live Coram Deo is to live one's entire life in the presence of God, under the authority of God, to the glory of God. To live in the presence of God is to understand that whatever we are doing and wherever we are doing it, we are acting under the gaze of God."

And then my friend Kerry shared words from her Pastor Larry and a co-worker encouraged me to listen to a sermon from his church about living your whole life in worship. In about 40 hours, I was hit over the head with how important it is to live all of our lives before God.

What a challenge. But the truth is that God cares about what do and how we live. He loves us...how do we return that?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy New Year