Recapturing religion

Religion is not a four-letter word.  


(N.B: I do not use this phrase literally. I can count. I mean four-letter word in the sense of a verboten word.)


Many people are quick to dismiss the word religion. Not 20 minutes ago, I was jamming away to the Jason Gray song, "More Like Falling In Love." 
Give me words 
I'll misuse them 
Obligations 
I'll misplace them 
'Cause all religion ever made of me 
Was just a sinner with a stone tied to my feet 
It never set me free 
It's gotta be 

It's like I'm falling in love, love, love 
Deeper and deeper 
It was love that made 
Me a believer 
In more than a name, a faith, a creed 
Falling in love with Jesus brought the change in me
While his sentiment is right on, I word that the world "religion" is getting an unfair knock here. Gray is absolutely right. Love is more important than rote action. There needs to be more than obligations. After all, we have a God that desires mercy, not sacrifices. 


But this whole sentiment unsettles me on some level. The word religion does not mean legalism and obligation. I learned today that the word comes from the same root as the word for ligature (from a very spiffy yet very boring-to-most-people lecture on the history of the English language from iTunesU). This led to me to look it up in Webster's Fourth, which told me that word comes from the Latin for "bind together" from a root that means "to collect."


This made me love the word. The truth is, it's a copout to say that we can just love God without religion. That strips away our obligations. Granted grace is free for salvation, but I'm talking about the already-redeemed folks. And the truth is we have ties that bind. We our bound to our Creator, our Savior, and our Encourager, as well as to other Christians. We are bound by love, by covenant, by shared purpose. 


This predilection to declare religion as bad is: 


1). a misunderstanding of what the word means
2). an excuse to ignore obligations
3). an American need to go it alone on spiritual matters. 


So, let's recapture this word. It's a great one. 


I'll leave you with the words of the much-sung hymn, "Come Thou Fount:"


O to grace how great a debtor daily I'm constrained to be! Let thy goodness like a fetter bind my wandering heart to thee. Prone to wander, Lord I feel it, Prone to leave the God I love. Here's my heart, take it and seal it, seal it for thy courts above. 

Here's to the ties that bind.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy New Year