From follower to fan | Group Tour Magazine Blog

From follower to fan | Group Tour Magazine Blog

My radio romance and how group tours can experience the dedication behind the dial: A blog by Amanda Black


MONDAY, APRIL 30, 2012

WGN Radio has been a Chicago institution for decades; the lively conversation continues 24 hours a day. 
Photo: James Cridland
WGN Radio has been a Chicago institution for decades; the lively conversation continues 24 hours a day. 

From follower to fan

By Amanda Black
Anyone who’s listened to me for more than a few sentences, either in person or in print, has heard me utter the phrase: “I heard this on the radio.”

This love of mine started young. My family moved to Chicagoland when I was two, and we immediately started listening to WGN, AM 720.

Chicago’s hometown talk station has been a Windy Institution for more than 75 years. It was started by Col. McCormick, the same impresario behind theChicago Tribune. In fact, the radio’s call sign stands for the World’s Greatest Newspaper.

I still think it’s the world’s greatest radio station.

I have fond memories of listening to the radio. On Saturday mornings, my dad and I would listen to the station while we were doing chores and errands. Beloved host Roy Leonard once sent us the soundtrack to American Tale on vinyl.

This was long before the hipsters discovered vinyl; in fact, many of them weren’t born yet when this happened.

Anyway, my grandpa and I listened to the Cubs game all the time, and every road trip involved listening to WGN until it turned into static and we found an inferior station.

I drifted away over the years: when I was in junior high, I was drawn by the lure of a pink FM radio playing the hits from Michael Jackson and Madonna. Then I moved south before you could stream radio stations online so I couldn’t have listened if I wanted to.

I then had a long flirtation with pop and country radio even after I moved back into the WGN radio territory.
Then one day, I couldn’t take one more listen to “Come On Eileen.” This was an epiphany moment for me. There’s still an AM dial and WGN is still interesting. I was in love all over again.

I even appeared on the radio a few weekends ago, sharing a story about my sad/funny story about winning the lottery and losing money anyway. (My call is exactly 10 minutes in).

Today, I listen by podcast as well. Although the technology has changed, my love of it hasn’t. 
I've been listening to WGN for years, returning after some time when I drifted away. 
Photo: James Cridland
I've been listening to WGN for years, returning after some time when I drifted away. 
I can think of a few ways for groups to connect with WGN. It broadcasts from the Tribune Tower at 435 N. Michigan Avenue, right in the heart of the tourist district. When the hosts are in the Showcase Studio, you can walk right by, listen to the show and be a part of the fun. 

This Chicago landmark is included on many architecture tours, either by foot, land or the Chicago River. 

Col. McCormick’s estate in suburban Wheaton has grown into a premier group tour destination. It’s now Cantigny Park and includes museums, golf, gardens, shopping and more group amenities. One museum preserves his grand mansion and the other shares the story of the First Infantry Division where the colonel served in World War I.

I say all this to ask you this question: What are you doing to inspire your fans? Could they write a blog singing your praise? How do you turn contacts into fans?

Speaking of fans, we love to connect with our readers. Have you liked us on Facebook yet? I also keep the conversation going on Twitter @amandagrouptour (where, of course, I follow WGN).

Amanda Black has spent the last 10 years with Group Tour Magazine uncovering the best attractions and tours for groups. She lives in Holland, Mich., with a lovely view of a meadow and duck pond. Amanda is big fan of fresh food and TV dramas as well as all things cute.    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy New Year