Inheriting the love

Right now, I’m reading Jonathan Mahler’s book, Ladies and Gentlemen, the Bronx is Burning.

It’s a tale of New York City and its most tumultuous year of 1977. ... This is the year that Reggie Jackson arrived in the Bronx (and won the World Series on three homeruns in three pitches), the mayoral race that introduced the world to Koch and Cuomo, and the summer that the Son of Sam scared everyone.

But this beginning made such a poignant statement:

“I  grew up hearing stories about the New York of my father’s childhood, the New York of the 1940s and 1950s....The images were were especially resonant because we lived so far away from this world, in Palm Springs, California...The  California Angles played their spring training games in a small ballpark just a short bike ride from our house. We would get season tickets every March and dutifully cheer on the home team, which was owned by one of the community’s many aging celebrities, Gene Autry. But I never cared much for the Anglers. I knew that baseball loyalty was generational, not geographic. You don’t choose your team; you inherit it....”

Yes that’s now! The Cubs are talking about Magic Numbers and September may not be the end of the season. Awesome!

And this time of year...I always feel most connected to some lost part of my childhood...my dad, grandpa...those afternoons watching and listening to Cubs games.

Why am I blogging about this? A co-worker and I just had a great talk about the joys of AM radio..and we talked baseball.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy New Year