Beautiful slowness

“He who has set his heart exclusively upon the pursuit of worldly welfare is always in a hurry, for he has but a limited time at his disposal to reach, to grasp, and to enjoy it.” Alexis de Tocqueville

Today, I have started reading “In Praise of Slowness” by Carl Honore. It all started with a quote. Each day, I get a mail from Harper Collins’ inspirational line of books and found this little gem:

This book is not a declaration of war against speed. Speed has helped to remake our world in ways that are wonderful and liberating. Who wants to live without the Internet or jet travel? The problem is that our love of speed, our obsession with doing more and more in less and less time, has gone too far; it has turned into an addiction, a kind of idolatry. [...] When you accelerate things that should not be accelerated, when you forget how to slow down, there is a price to pay.

I posted it to the Lent blog (now the accountability blog) and Kerry suggested that it would be a great book to read. So, I whipped out my gift certificate from Barnes and Noble, found a discounted copy, and even ordered the book with expedited shipping (It was free, and yes, I am fully aware of the irony). So at lunch today, instead of wasting time at a store (and money too), I curled up on the couch at work and got to reading.

The author calls for balance. He is not saying we need to go off the grid, just be more intentional about what we do. I hear this clarion call. We need to be more intentional about what we do...what we eat, what we buy....everything. I think this is a spiritual issue....we are more connected to our creator and the creation.

There will be more to say; this is an interesting and challenging book!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy New Year