Amanda's American Life

In some ways, this process of focusing our lives on the mind and work of Jesus involves distancing ourselves from the world around us in an effort to break away from our dysfunctions and addictions. To them we appear foolish and misguided. Thus this kind of focus cannot happen without a daily--even hourly--decision to surrender to the sway of the Spirit.
Quote From:
The Importance of Being Foolish
How to Think Like Jesus
by Brennan Manning

Last night was a real treat!

I drove to the north side of Grand Rapids ... to watch a live event at a movie theater... to watch a radio host work. Well, it was This American Life Live....a lecture, preview of the TV show, wonderful evening.

Here's an article explaining it:

http://www.courant.com/entertainment/tv/hc-amlife.artmay01,0,3954325.story

I have to admit I was feeling claustrophobic last night. I moved my seat three times...finally settling in the front row in the corner. I also bolted out the side door when it was over. That happens at time...I get really sensitive. Don't know why, but it's a family trait.

Anyway, before the show, there were animated puzzles and a fun tune playing up on the screen. Then we got a close-up of the inexplicably sexy Ira Glass, with his greying hair, big black glasses, and a natty brown suit.

We watched several clips from the upcoming season of This American Life. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I have to have the DVD. I've spent a fortune lately, and it's time to reign it in. But I want this DVD. It's only available at Border's right now. I'll wait rather than driving to Ann Arbor. We saw a clip of yearbook photos, how nothing from real life shows up in the yearbook. Boy isn't that the truth? We also watched a radio essay (!) from Jonathan Gold. It was about awkward middle school boys who are learning to do stand up comedy. Another was about an Iraqi man who came to the US and talked to people about the war.

We also saw Ira work his magic with some equipment and his distinctive voice. His TV producer was there too; he was very nervous and fidgety, almost to the point of distraction. I haven't said much about what this made me think. I will...I'm brain dead now that it's Friday afternoon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy New Year