Hopping aboard the discipline train

I'm not much of an artist. I can doodle, but mainly it consists of squares and circles. But I was in a meeting a week or so ago and this came out: I wanted to draw a picture of Godzilla taking over Tokyo.

And I ended up with a giant rabbit taking over the town. Now, I'm the sort of person that turns everything into a lesson. There's hidden meanings under every rock, a greater truth behind ever breath...so of course, I start thinking about this means. The answer is pretty simple, I feel trampled upon. I do not feel like Godzilla (why does a lizard look like a bunny? Well, mainly because I can't draw lizzards. Really; it's that simple.) I do not feel like the stomper, but the stompee; maybe that's because lots of things have been out of my hands.

But it's more like I'm learning to be more disciplined, which frankly, is a pretty suckey process. I'm not that bad as a whole. I'm kind, caring, thoughtful, conservative, patient, etc... but I can aways do better. I still drift through days without much of a plan. I eat like every meal will be my last, and I get selfish and insular. And, oh, I'm a gawd awful housekeeper. So how do I go through life well?

Although it's going to take a whole life to figure this out, I think the answer lies in discipline. That word. ... that annoying, uncomfortable concept. I don't enjoy working hard and don't like to be structured. But there are benefits that come out of being disciplined.

I've learned this lesson in a few ways last week. I joined Curves. It's painful to work out, but I do feel better. It's not that hard and I will get stronger.

But the other thing that happened was a carpool. This kind of happened organically. Catherine's car conked out, so I gave a ride and then we decided to give it a go. I didn't expect it to be so hard. It's funny how set in my ways I've become. It's hard to give up some control (and quietness)...but somehow, there's a lesson in this.

Maybe I will feel less like Tokyo as I strengthen my discpline. Just maybe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy New Year