Rethinking "How to Dismantle"

Lately, this lyric has been running though my head

Love makes nonsense out of space
And time will disappear

I knew that it was a U2 lyric, but it confused me that I did not know where it was from. Why would I half know a U2 song? After a little digging, I found that it was from Miracle Drug on How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb.

Now, I can’t say I have a love/hate relationship with this CD…It was one of total dismissal. I tried to like it, but I just couldn’t. So, it was deleted from my iTunes and tossed on the CD rack with some sadness.

And then this lyric keeps running through my mind a few years later. So it comes time to reconsider this album.

And?

And I missed the subtle poetry of this album. This morning, I read the lyrics, having forgotten much of the music (of course, the instrumental U2 is amazing, but this is not what I’m talking about right now). When I read the lyrics, I found struggle….the reality of grace in a sinful world…the beauty of this sadness….truth.

Poetry…

As you enter this life
I pray you depart
With a wrinkled face
And a brand new heart

I saw you in the curve of the moon
In the shadow cast across my room
You hear me in my tune
When I just heard confession
All because of you

I could never take a chance
Of losing love to find romance
In the mysterious distance
Between a man and a woman


And the final lyrics on the disc

Take this city
A city should be shining on a hill
Take this city
If it be your will
What no man can own
No man can take
Take this heart
Take this heart
Take this heart
And make it break.

Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy New Year